Mars movies have historically struggled at the box office. So how do you build excitement about a new entry into the genre in 2015? And how do you create momentum without succumbing to Hollywood's habit of flooding the market with every spoiler-ridden plot detail?
"The World is Watching"
To launch The Martian, we worked closely with legendary filmmaker Ridley Scott and 20th Century Fox to design a months-long original narrative that would tell the story of the mission from the public's point of view. Our goal was simple: Bring the world to life with the same cultural noise of the Cold War-era space race. Additionally, create an official continuity that could include brands, publishers, celebrities, and the audience.
- Opened #1 at the box-office
- #1 movie for 4 weeks (U.S.)
- 2nd-highest Fall opening of all-time
- Ridley Scott’s most successful film ever
- $600 million+ worldwide box-office
- 20 million+ video views, beyond the trailers
- A multiplatform narrative developed in chorus with NASA, Microsoft, GoPro, Under Armour, National Geographic, and StarTalk